FREE ONLINE WORKSHOP FOR FEMALE ENTREPRENEURS:
From mummy blogger to millionaire. Discover Jane’s One Sales Funnel Model ™
Dos and Don’ts for spring 2012 fashion trends
Spring has sprung and if you're anything like me, you're starting to get excited about the fabulously bright and breezy clothing and accessories now drenching the shop windows.
But before you get too carried away, STOP, put your credit card down and take a good look at what you have in storage from last year. There are probably plenty of good basics that you can re-invent for this spring.
Some classic examples are:
- Well cut black pants – full length or ankle cropped are fine for spring
- Classic dark denim in skinny or straight leg cut
- Maxi dresses in block colours or prints
- If you have the legs and the courage – your favourite mini skirt
- A good white shirt
- Strappy flat sandals
- A light jacket – important for layering while the nights are often still cool
Once you’ve taken stock of what can and cannot be reinvented this year, it’s time to hit the shops for those spring essentials. Here are a few style do’s and don’ts to help you in your quest.
- Paint your nails with cute patterns or motifs and don’t convince yourself that 3 shades of blue will look good together on one hand.
- Wear pattern upon pattern upon pattern. A little bit of clashing can go a long way in creating a stand out look, but be careful to ensure your patterns have a consistent colour theme and aren’t too over the top. Zebra striped with a pastel floral might be taking things too far.
- Make hair accessories part of your look. Scrunchies, headbands and feathered facinicators are for little girls and ballet dancers. Unless you’re heading to the races, steer clear of these.
- Display your lingerie.
Let your underwear stay well under your clothes. No visible bra straps under sleeveless tops and definitely no midriffs.
- Confuse leggings for pants.
Leggings are best worn under a dress or long top.
- Pair fluro with fluro.
Wear neon only in moderation.
Same applies to the floral trend – don’t wear it head to toe; 1 piece is enough paired with simple solid colours.
- Overdo the animal print by wearing it layer upon layer.
You may risk looking like you’ve just stepped out of a Mafia Wives convention.
- Embrace the classics.
Black is back (not that it ever went anywhere!) so don’t push those beloved black items to the back of the wardrobe. You can never go wrong with classic black in simple well cut pieces be it pants, tops or dresses.
If black is not your thing – nude is a classic and stylish alternative.
To ‘Springify’ your black favourites, add another block color such as cobalt blue, red or mint green.
Alternatively, why not add one of this spring’s signature pieces, neon or floral, to keep your look sophisticated but contemporary.
- Wear the new slouchy fit pant for a chic relaxed look.
You can choose solid colours or patterns as long as you pair them with plain pieces.
These spring must-haves look great with a strappy flat sandal, a medium stiletto or a wedge.
- Splurge on a new season dress.
I recommend the peplum dress; it’s sophisticated, sexy and great for hiding any left-over winter treats which might be sitting around our hips.
- Embrace fabulous block colours but only wear 3 at a time.
- Invest in a great fitted jacket.
This season, wear it over silky tank tops or patterned shirts, or pair it with your favourite maxi dress to give yourself an ultra-chic look.
- Reinvent your old favourites.
To bring those much loved items back to life pair them with a gorgeous statement necklace. These work wonders for dressing up plain t-shirts or dresses.
- Buy a two tone watch – they go with everything
- Spoil yourself with a statement clutch.
This is the perfect accessory for a fun night out in bright colour or animal print.
- Have some fun with this seasons amazing array of sunglasses – coloured frames and animal print will vamp up any outfit.
The most important thing this season is to have fun with what you’re wearing. Let your clothes reflect your personality, allowing you to feel confident and look beautiful.
Did you find these tips useful? Stay updated on fresh content in our style section, by signing up to our weekly newsletter below.